Common Eye Problems, Diseases, and Disorders
In this article, we explore the top 25 most common eye problems, diseases, and disorders, including diagrams, definitions, and explanations for common eye diseases. The eye is a small but unique organ of the human body with the ability to visualize a lifetime of events.
Our eyes are important organs of the human body and deliver the visual system. They provide us with vision in order to process visual details and images, detect and convert light into electrochemical impulses fired into neurons. In this article, we explore with the most common eye problems, diseases, and disorders that can affect our sight.
Anatomy of the Eye: Labelled Diagram
When you look into the mirror, the most noticeable parts of the eye include the following:
- Iris: The iris is where people note the different eye colors we have. Brown, blue, green, black, hazel.
- Cornea: The cornea is a clear dome lying right over the iris.
- Pupil: The pupil is the black circular opening in the iris that dilates to let the light in, especially in a dark room, and constricts into pinpoint pupils when looking at a light source like the sun.
- Sclera: The sclera is the white part of our eyeballs.
- Conjunctiva: The conjunctiva is a tissue layer that covers the entire surface of our eyes, except for the cornea.
Disorders and Diseases of Vision: Diplopia, Hyperopia, Myopia, Nyctalopia, Amblyopia, Presbyopia, Macular Degeneration
Eyelid Disorders and Diseases: Blepharitis, Blepharoptosis, Chalazion, Keratitis
Cornea Disorders and Diseases: Astigmatism, Corneal Abrasion, Refractive Disorder, Xerophthalmia
Eye Disorders and Diseases: Cataract, Conjunctivitis, Exopthalmos, Hordeolum
Retina Disorders and Diseases: Glaucoma, Detached Retina, Retinal Detachment, Retinopathy
Thank you for visiting, and we hope you find this article helpful! Many thanks to the kind and generous supporters and donors for doing so! Our site is run 100% by volunteers from around the world. Please help support us by buying us a warm cup of coffee! Thanks! 🙂
Copyright © 2021 Moosmosis Organization: All Rights Reserved
All rights reserved. This essay or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher.